Monday, March 31, 2008

Things that I have learned about public transportation

See where I come from we have cute names for our public transportation system--which is made up entirely of buses. Each one has a pathway that is equivilent to one full street (it just runs up and down the same street day in and day out). This system is then linked by a bus that runs around the entire city. I live in Boulder, this does not have much area to take care of. So we have the Hop, the Jump, the Leap, the Bound, the Stampede, the Skip, etc. Pleasant names. They do the job required to cart a few hundred thousand people about.

Moving to NYC has required me to learn an entirely new system that is constructed of subways, buses, trains, and even monorails at the airport. For my entire life I have driven anywhere I want to go, generally in a cute little economical gas saving device.

Naturally being in such close proximity to people makes me: a) nervous, b) overwhelmed, and c) wishing I knew where I would actually end up when I get on a bus or train. And not to mention I begin to mix letters around when talking about the names of trains. And local vs. express. Crosstown, uptown, downtown. I get dizzy.

To say the least...I remain confused, less than pleased, and ready to be sipping tea on the veranda of my cute little cottage which exists only in my dreams.

2 comments:

Boston's Mommies said...

"cute little economical gas saving device. "

I don't think the Nissam Maxima nor the Nissan Pathfinder can be considered "economical gas saving" devices just saying... ;)

Makenna Johnston said...

AHA!!!! You are wrong! the Prius... Drove it around post graduation.